There are no hills, mountains or valleys in the Maldives. The highest elevation in the country is 2.4 meters. It is the flattest country in the world and is suitable for those looking to enjoy the warm sun and Indian Ocean climate.
The Island nation of Maldives is a composition of 26 atolls that lie in the Laccadive Sea in the Indian Ocean. The atolls are spread from Minicoy Island to Chagos Archipelago about 430 miles south-west of Sri Lanka and 250 miles south-west of India. Now everybody knows that any Island in the Indian Ocean is supposed to be beautiful...but wait till you get to Maldives and you will have a new definition of beauty. There is no other place on earth that looks quite like Maldives. Below are a few things you should know about Maldives.
1. The 26 atolls of Maldives comprises over 1000 islands that are spread all over the Laccadive Sea, making Maldives the most dispersed nation on the globe. The islands are made of coral reefs and sandbars that are home to a variety of Marine species.
2. There are no hills, mountains or valleys in the Maldives. The highest elevation in the country is 2.4 meters. It is the flattest country in the world and is suitable for those looking to enjoy the warm sun and Indian Ocean climate.
3. For the teetotalers, you have just found your paradise. For those of us who love a few cocktails to get the party going, sorry, alcohol is not permitted in Maldives - it is an Islamic country. However, you can find alcohol in selected hotels and resorts to cater for tourists. You however cannot drink alcohol in public places.
4. Maldives is surrounded by turquoise, crystal clear, hazy bluish water that can entice just anybody. It has better and warmer waters than the Caribbean Islands. In short, if you are looking for a beach holiday, Maldives is better than the Caribbean... and it is less crowded.
5. Don’t bother to tip! Most of the bills will constitute a 10% increase to cater for the tip. Giving tips in Maldives is frowned upon. And yes, it is one the richest countries in Asia.
A visit to Maldives is an once-in-a-lifetime experience. You need to be cautious though. The good weather, beautiful people, scenic environment and relaxed laws may make you want to stay in the country forever.
Places we have blogged about
- Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
- Africa, Anywhere
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
- 84011 Amalfi Salerno, Italy
- Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Apple Valley, Mn, United States
- Auburn, Ca, United States
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Austin, Tx, Usa
- Baja California, Mexico
- Bali, Indonesia
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Barcelona, Spain
- Beerwah, Qld, Australia
- Beijing, China
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
- Beverly Hills, Ca, Usa