The town of Port Blair boasts a tropical Monsoon climate that sees little variation in temperature. It gets rainfall throughout the year, except for the months of January, February and March. Whatever time you decide to visit Port Blair, you will find a good weather.
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a union territory of India, are located in the Andaman Sea. The largest town in this territory, which also happens to be the capital of the islands, is called Port Blair. The Indian Navy, the Indian Coast Guard and Indian Air force have all set base in the town of Port Blair. Noteworthy also is the fact that the town hosts the Andaman and Nicobar Command of the Indian Defence Forces.
Below are a few interesting things you did not know about the town.
1. Origin - The town started in 1789 when the government of Bengal established a penal colony in the Chatham Island in the southeast bay of Great Andaman. The island was later renamed Port Blair to honor Lieutenant Archibald Blair of the British East India Company.
2. Climate - The town of Port Blair boasts a tropical Monsoon climate that sees little variation in temperature. It gets rainfall throughout the year, except for the months of January, February and March. Whatever time you decide to visit Port Blair, you will find a good weather.
3. Average literacy - Port Blair has a higher literacy level than any other part of India at 89.76%. The males have a literacy level of 92.79% while the women have a literacy level of 86.34%. This can be explained by the presence of the military bases here. If you decide to visit the islands, beware - you will be interacting with a pretty well-educated people.
4. The Rajiv Gandhi Water Sports Complex is one of the most celebrated sporting complexes in India - If you want to enjoy some watersport of any sport, you just head to Port Blair. After all, the town has a navy base here and you will never fall short of experts to train you how it is done.
5. The 2004 Tsunami - The town survived the Indian Ocean Earthquake quite well such that it acted as a base for the rescue. It is strategically placed to reach all the areas that were affected by the Tsunami.
Port Blair is the kind of idyllic towns that attract the rich. It is a town where the waiters and restaurant owners will know their customers by name. You will have a lot of fun visiting this town and the larger island.
Places we have blogged about
- Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
- Africa, Anywhere
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
- 84011 Amalfi Salerno, Italy
- Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Apple Valley, Mn, United States
- Auburn, Ca, United States
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Austin, Tx, Usa
- Baja California, Mexico
- Bali, Indonesia
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Barcelona, Spain
- Beerwah, Qld, Australia
- Beijing, China
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
- Beverly Hills, Ca, Usa